Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Blog Post 7


Randy Pausch's Last Lecture
This was an unusual lecture. I was shocked when Mr. Pausch said my father always said to go ahead and let the elephant in the room out. I could not believe his attitude for a man dying, with ten tumors in his liver. It was a very good lecture and I really learned a lot from his lecture.
A lot of Mr. Pausch's quotes and sayings were very interesting and they made you really stop and think. The one "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted" and most of what we learn, we learn indirectly (or by "head fake"). This really rang a bell with me. My dad always use to tell me as a child, if you want advice you need to ask someone that is a lot older than you. Experience to me is a learning process. If you want to learn something then experience is the best teacher.
I definitely agree with him about Being an Imaginer. The Brick Walls are there for a reason: Thet let us prove how badly we want things. I have always been told never give up on your dreams, and after listening to this lecture I can see why I was told this. This man has never given upon anything.
The saying "Decide if your a Tigger or Eeyore" really makes sense to me.Also, the saying "Never lose your child-like wonder" really sticks out to me. People forget as they get older about having fun, being helpful to others and keeping a positive attitude.
Enabling the Childhood Dreams of others was a powerful message in Mr. Pausch's lecture. When you look at a child and their enthusiasm you know the meaning od joy.
Have something to bring to the table, Fundamentals are a must and watch how you say things. This was a very important message in regard to loyalty is a two-way street.
The closing of this lecture had tears rolling down my face when he said, "This lecture was not for you(the audience) or myself, but for my kids." Mr. Pausch showed how important it was for his kids to keep a positive attitude, even after his death and how important it was to him for their success.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if your father's advice should now be changed to "If you want advice about technology you need to ask someone a lot younger than you."

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete