Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Blog Post 8


Watch Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 & 2
I would say at this moment, I am not prepared to write with multimedia. I hope by the time I start teaching, that I will be able to use multimedia though. I plan over the summer to learn everything I can about a computer and how to use it. I plan on going back through the materials in EDM310 and practicing everything over and over again until I feel that I am comfortable as doing the project like knowing my own name. I also plan to continue taking courses until I feel I know what I need to know to help my students.
I think by the time I start teaching I will be able to do Collaborate Learnign with mt students. I know I can put creativity in my students. I agree that our workplace in the future will be our laptop or desktop computers.
The Internet is a good way of sharing knowledge. It is amazing to see numbers and materials change before our eyes on the Internet. It's also amazing to see people sharing ideas fully and to see people responding to things that are happening around the world. I agree that change can be good for our students.

Edm310 is Different
The video that I would like to create would be of Tina Turner. Back on her 24/7 tour, when I went to see her in New Orleans, it was like a dream come true. I would like to design the clothes worn, pick the band, and pick the backup singers. But, most of all I would like to put myself dancing with her on stage. It would be cool to put myself in her image and perform like her.
The video EDM310 for Dummies was funny but true. I think probably half of the students that take this course feel the same way the students did in the video. If there was a real book EDM310 foe Dummies, I would buy one. I think it was an entertaining way to get stress out and also a way to voice what they were thinking.

Watch Learn to Change, Change to Learn
I agree with this video on Learn to Change, Change to Learn. After being out of school for twenty-seven years and then coming back to school, I can tell you that some parts of the cirriculum have not changed(like math or science), but other parts are totally different.
I think the real problem with teachers changing is they are scared of technology( especially the older teachers). For teachers to teach a subject they must be able to do the subject themselves. I think all the schools should provide teachers with a program that helps the teacher understand the advances in technology. Then teachers will change so they can learn. Teachers must come out of their comfort zone and change for their students. We must change in order to hold our country up to the standards for the rest of the world to see.

The Secret Powers of Time & The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
Both of these videos were very good and interesting. Mr.Zambardo really hit it with my son, he is sixteen and fits right along with this research. In the fact that by the time a boy is 21 years old he has spent 10,000 hours playing video games alone.
I also argue with Mr. Zambardo about the 6 main time zones that people live in, two focus on the past( probably me) the good old times. Two focus on the present, live for pleasure, avoid pain, which he called Hedonistic. Two focus on the future. I also think he hit the purpose of schools is to take present oriented little beasts and make them future oriented, and that students create a world in which they live in when playing video games. Even game makers realize this, and now are even starting to make 3D games. Some kids will never fit in a traditional classroom. They become bored and will perform bad in school. They have to be able to control something in the classroom, so learning can take place. The main point in this video was kids are totally different than we were as kids and we must change our schools to keep them engaged in learning. In America a child drops out of school every 9 seconds( mostly boys), this was unbelievable to me.
In Mr. Pink's video his research was very interesting. The two points were:(1) If you reward something do you get more of the behavior you want or (2) If you punish something do you get less of the behavior you want? He used money as a motivator. His research was very impressing about the fact if you don't pay enough people what they want, they won't be motivated, so pay people enough to take the issue of money off the table. The fact that three factors had to be performed and personal satisfaction beat money for motivation was, dutonomy, mastery, and purpose. All three of these factors must be in our lives. We need to feel satisfaction in what we do.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty neat that you and your son will be graduating school about the same time-- I bet he looks up to you and your efforts more than you realize. My mom is finishing up college now, and she really inspires me to get the grades that she is striving for!

    The last part of your post, about the money... I am not sure that you understood that the same way I did. I am going to rewatch that part, but I believe he was saying that money makes little difference because at the end of the day, it's about how gratified you feel in your position. I think he later related that to kids by saying if we give them a sense of purpose and room to create along their learning journey-- we will be met with the reward of their personal investments in what we have to share and expose them too.

    What did you think on your second look at the movie?

    ReplyDelete