Sunday, November 25, 2012

Blog Post #13

Back to the Future


Brian Crosby's video "Back to the Future" was a very interesting video to see, he teaches students from the fourth grade thru the sixth grade. Most of the students he teaches, more than 90%, are at risk students, that live in poverty. They are also second language learners.

Brain Crosby asked a very interesting question, "Why is there such a disconnect for these students"? He goes on in his video to answer this question. He shows us a class survey he did that explains why these students are so disconnected.

In his class each student has there own computer. He tells us about a couple of projects that he does and how the students enjoyed the projects. The on that I really liked was The High Hopes High Attitude Ballon Project. Instead of testing the student, he will have each student blog about the project. Then the students will embed the video on the project and talk about why the project worked. Mr. Crosby is very big on Active Learning. His students look excited about learning, which is not common for second language learners. I love the idea that he teaches through activities, much like our class, in EDM 310.

Progress Report on Project #16


My group, The Raging Fireflies, met on November 19th to discuss and plan out the details of our final project. Our project is going to be a short film describing the changes that a student underwent as they took on Dr. Strange's course, EDM 310. When the student starts out in the class, she has a very negative attitude, so we call her "Negative Nancy", which will be played by Marie. After she has been in the class for a while, she see's how the class really does a great job of preparing her to be a teacher. We have been contacting each other via email, Geogle Docs, FaceTime, in person and by phone. We are all very excited to be working on the project and hope it turns out great.


A Vision of Students Today

In watching A Vision of Students Today, I can agree that that is how a lot of my classes have looked. When I took History 101 and 102, there was about a hundred students in the class. Most of the time, the students in the back of the class, were either texting on their phones or playing games on their laptop. The history teacher passed around a roll for everyone to sign and most of the time a student would sign their name and then a friends name. Then the next class the friend would show up for class and sign his name and the other's person's name.

I have also bought books that I may have used once or twice in class, that was suppose to help you. I like the writing on the wall "If these walls could talk". I think a lot of Professor's could learn a lot from wall if they could talk. I have had good classes that were lecture classes and I have had some that you could hardly stay awake in. One thing that you can say about a class like EDM 310 is "that you are always doing hands on stuff". In EDM 310 we never get bored, because we are always involved in doing things that are interesting. I will admit that I didn't like EDM and was scared of the class for a long time, but now I am so glad that I took it. I have learned so much that has changed the way I look at technology and nobody can believe that I want to learn more. I have made myself a goal to learn more an more about technology./b>

No comments:

Post a Comment